Birch Wood

  • Early 19th Century Georgian Chapel

    Early 19th Century Georgian Chapel

    Built in 1812, the delightfully elegant design of this chapel reflects the importance the evangelical movement placed on sermons and scripture reading rather than communion. Unusually, it was not built as a parish church, but was privately funded and then run by trustees of the evangelical movement of the Church of England. Ministers were largely…